LEA COUNTY FAIR QUEEN, PRINCESS, SWEETHEART
AND LITTLE MISS CONTEST
The title of Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen, Princess, Sweetheart and Little Miss holds a place of honor, as well as prestige. These titles represent not only the western way of life, but they also represent the quality of leadership among young women in Lea County.
The objective of the Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen, Princess, Sweetheart and Little Miss Contest is to determine a representative of the Lea County Fair & Rodeo. The Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen, Princess, Sweetheart and Little Miss serve as ambassadors of the Fair & Rodeo to the general public, exhibiting excelled sportsmanship, high moral and ethical standards, as well as adding a flavor of femininity. The young ladies that hold these titles should be able to speak intelligently, with authority and with knowledge of the Lea County Fair & Rodeo and Lea County. They are expected to act, speak and dress according to the prestige the title deserves at all times during their reign. In addition, the following rules will apply:
1. A candidate will be chosen Queen-elect, Princess-elect or Sweetheart-elect and will reign as the Queen, Princess or Sweetheart in the following year. The Lea County Fair Board will sponsor the Queen-elect. The Queen-elect, Princess-elect and Sweetheart-elect understand that if she is currently holding another title and wins the title of Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen, Princess or Sweetheart, she may continue to hold both titles only if she commits to the Lea County Fair & Rodeo as her first priority.
2. A contestant must be enrolled in a Lea County School and/or must prove residency in Lea County, New Mexico for a consecutive period of twelve (12) months prior to the day of entry deadline. The Queen Committee reserves the right to request proof of residency.
a. Queen Contestants-Must be 17 years old by January 1, 2020, and up to 24 years old by December 31, 2020.
b. Princess Contestants-Must be 13 years old by January 1, 2020, and up to 16 years old by December 31, 2020.
c. Sweetheart Contestants-Must be 9 years old by January 1, 2020, and up to 12 years old by December 31, 2020.
d. Little Miss Contestants-Must be 5 years old by January 1, 2020, and up to 8 years old by December 31, 2020.
3. A contestant shall be a single girl never to have been married and never to have had a child or have minor dependents.
4. The Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen, Princess and Sweetheart contestant may run against the scorecard if only one contestant applies in a category to be declared the winner. Queen must score not less than 70% - Princess must score not less than 70% and Sweetheart must score not less than 70%.
5. Inappropriate or unsportsmanlike behavior from the title holder, contestant, Parent/guardian, or anyone associated with the contestant before, during and after the competition is cause for dismissal and relinquishment of all awards at the discretion of the Lea County Fair Board and Queen Committee. Title holders and contestants will be expected to represent Lea County and the Fair & Rodeo in a professional manner at all times.
6. At no time before, during or after any part of the competitions will a contestant, parent/guardian or anyone associated with the contestant approach a judge. A contestant may approach the judges after the competition with questions concerning areas of improvement only.
7. Each contestant is required to attend scheduled events prior to and during the fair week. Each contestant is required to participate in the scheduled fair and rodeo activities. Contestants must be available to meet with rodeo sponsors for public relations work when asked. Contestants must wear the contestant sash at all times.
8. The 2020 Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen has the choice to enter and participate in the 2020 New Mexico State Fair Queen Contest and agrees to abide by the rules and regulations set forth. As a contestant in the New Mexico State Fair Queen Contest, she will be responsible for providing her own horse and must arrange for transportation to and from Albuquerque, NM. She is encouraged to raise funds to participate in the New Mexico State Fair Queen Contest in order to build community and business relationships. The Lea County Fair Board will pay the entry fee for the New Mexico State Fair Contest, and up to $150 in expenses with receipts. The New Mexico State Fair Queen application must be postmarked by September 1, 2020.
9. Please understand that if selected as Lea County Fair & Rodeo Royalty, winners are responsible for their own transportation, clothing and expenses incurred while representing the Lea County Fair & Rodeo.
10. No sponsorship donations may be taken in the name of the Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen Contest without the knowledge and consent of the Lea County Fair Board and the Queen Committee. All donations including money, clothing, etc., received by the contestant must be with the donor’s knowledge and understanding that it is for the contestant’s own personal benefit.
11. The contestant agrees that the Lea County Fair Board and the Queen Committee shall determine the manner and method of conducting the competition including determining time, method and manner of judging, presentation and supervision of all awards. The decision of the persons designated by the Lea County Fair Board to judge the various events in any and all matters pertaining to the selection of the winners shall be final in all respects.
12. By signing and submitting an application and contract, the contestant agrees that:
- Each requirement of eligibility set forth has been met
- All facts and representations presented by the contestant are true and accurate
- The contestant, parents and/or guardians will abide by all rules and regulations of the Lea County Fair Board as set forth by the Queen Committee in the period before and during her year of service
- The contestant has never been convicted of any criminal offense and there are no criminal charges presently pending against the contestant
- The contestant does not use or consume any illegal controlled substances or engage in the illegal use of alcohol or other dangerous substances
- The contestant will not curse, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages or be under the influence of narcotics at any time after her application is received by the Queen Committee
- Any unsatisfactory behavior before, during or after the contest will be cause for dismissal of the contestant with relinquishment of her title and all awards
The Lea County Fair Board and the Queen Committee shall have sole discretion in determining whether a contestant may continue to participate in the program in the event that any statement or presentation by the contestant found not true and accurate or that any action by the contestant is inconsistent with the rules and regulation of the program
13. The contestant agrees to abide by all rules, regulations and deadlines set forth by the Lea County Fair Board and the Queen Committee. When signed by the contestant and approved by the Lea County Fair Board, this application and contract, together with its attachments, shall solely and exclusively determine the contestant’s rights, privileges and responsibilities to the Lea County Fair Board. No other oral or written statement that is in any way inconsistent with the provisions of this application and contract shall be binding upon the contestant, the Lea County Fair Board or the Queen Committee.
14. The scheduled activities will include but are not limited to the following:
15. Lea County Fair & Rodeo Queen, Princess, Sweetheart and Little Miss entry forms may be obtained from the Lea County Fair Office located at 101 S. Commercial Street, Lovington, New Mexico. Also, applications are available at www.leacounty.net.
An entry fee of $50 along with completed and notarized entry forms must be turned in by Friday, May 29, 2020 at 5:00 p.m., at the Fair Office, 101 S. Commercial Street, Lovington, NM88260. Early registration will be accepted.
A silent judge may be present to observe the Queen, Princess and Sweetheart contestants during any given part of the contest. The silent judge’s score may be included in the final score.