The Lea County Fair and Rodeo Fiddler’s Contest shall be held at 1:00 p.m., Saturday, August 11th, 2018, with registration beginning at 12:00 noon at the Lea County Fair and Rodeo in Lovington, NM. All fiddlers regardless of their residence are invited to enter the contest. There will be a $10.00 entry fee charge for Fiddler’s and Twin Fiddling. Accompanist will also have a $10.00 entry fee.
Fiddler’s Jam to be held Friday, August 10th, 2018 from 6:00pm to 9:00pm!
AWARDS FOR ALL FIRST PLACE WINNERS,
GRAND CHAMPION, JR. GRAND CHAMPION,
LONGEST DISTANCE, OLDEST AND YOUNGEST FIDDLERS
CONTEST INFORMATION: Mary McClure (575) 369-6600 (If unavailable, please leave voicemail)
1. Each fiddler will play a “BREAKDOWN” and a “WALTZ”. Depending on the number of contestants and if time permits, each fiddler will be permitted to play a “TUNE OF CHOICE” other than a “BREAKDOWN” or a “WALTZ”. Each fiddler is asked to hold their tunes to six (6) minutes or less.
2. No fiddler will be allowed more than two (2) accompanists consisting of guitars, banjos, mandolin, or bass. Fiddlers may play without accompanist. Electrified or Amplified instruments WILL NOT BE ALLOWED in the contest by the contestant or the accompanist. No lead instruments will be permitted.
3. All fiddles shall be tuned standard 440 PITCH E A D G. No cross-tuned fiddles, five string fiddles or plucking on strings allowed. TRICK FIDDLING tunes such as Orange Blossom Special, Listen to the Mockingbird, Black Mountain Rag and Lee highway Blues WILL NOT BE ALLOWED during competition. See list posted at contest for other tunes not allowed in contest.
4. Each fiddler will be required to give his/her tunes at the time of registration and cannot change tunes after they have given their information to the clerk to be entered without permission of Superintendent.
5. If there are any questions regarding a tune, contact an official. They will be glad to confer with you and get you in contact with a judge.
6. No tune shall be played twice in competition by the same fiddler.
7. If a string breaks or pops out of tune during the competition, the contestant will have the option to continue or stop at that point. If the tune is completed, it will be judged as played. If the contestant stops, he/she will be allowed to begin with that tune and complete the program.
8. The type of tunes to be played for the Championship Play Off will be the decision of the Judges. These tunes will be announced prior to the playoff.
9. The Judging will be by three (3) qualified judges. Judging will be scored for old – time fiddling, ability, rhythm or time and tone quality. Judges have the final word in all decisions. THE DECISION OF THE JUDGES SHALL BE FINAL.
10. LEA COUNTY FAIR & RODEO is not responsible for LOSS or DAMAGE of equipment. Each person shall be responsible for his/her own property in case of LOSS or DAMAGE to equipment.
11. Once entry fee has been paid and accepted there will be no refunds made, subject to approval of and by contest Superintendent.
ABOVE rules also apply to TWIN FIDDLING and ACCOMPANIST CONTESTS