The Lea County Attorney serves as the legal advisor to the Commission, County Manager, and all County Departments. The County Attorney’s office is responsible for:
- Drafting or reviewing contracts that are submitted to the County Commission or County Manager for approval.
- Drafting Resolutions and Ordinances for consideration and adoption by the County Commission.
- Reviewing requests for public records, as needed.
The County Attorney may defend or assist in the defense of any lawsuits brought against the County.
Inspection of Public Records Act
The Inspection of Public Records Act is intended to provide the public with access to information on governmental affairs. The law requires public access to virtually all public records with a few exceptions. Most records are available for public inspection during normal business hours. To request to inspect records from Lea County please send a written request to:
Monica M. Russell, Public Information Officer
100 N Main Avenue, Suite 4
Lovington, NM 88260
Email Records Request
- Do you give out legal advice to the public?
- Where do I go if I want to file a civil suit against someone for money owed me?
- Where do I go to get a restraining order on someone?
- How do I contact the District Attorney’s office?
- How do I contact the Public Defender’s office?
- How do I contact Legal Aid?
- How do I submit a Public Records Request?